Subject: Re: SAS C 6.51 and PGP....
From: [email-masked] (Doug Walker)
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 1994 19:41:29 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.programmer

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Jonas Flygare) writes:
|> 
|> Problem: After downloading latest PGP source (pgpamiga23a2_src.lha)
|> and unpacking I tried a compile. The supplied smakefile would not
|> proceed with the link phase. After moving the link command to another
|> place on the commandline it would link, but the linker would complain
|> about lots of undefined symbols. (And they were not undefined, as a
|> quick glance in the source told me)
|> Rather than assuming this is a compiler bug, I thought I'd start by
|> asking.. Is there anyone out there who have managed to compile the
|> latest PGP with SAS C 6.51, and if so, what do I need to do in order
|> to make it. :) Email preferred.

Sounds like you've run into a bug in the 6.51 SC command that has bitten
a lot of people.  Unfortunately, we linked the SC command with the 
wrong startup code, and it is limited to only 30 command-line parameters
in 6.51.  6.50 and 6.0 were limited to 126.

We modified the 6.51 startup code to allow unlimited parameters, and
we thought the 6.51 SC command was being linked with the new startup;
unfortunately, this wasn't the case.  6.51 SC got linked with an older
startup module.

To fix it, change the SMAKEFILE to use a temporary file.  You can do
this as follows.  Instead of this:

   target: $(OBJS)
      sc link $(OBJS)

use this:

   target: $(OBJS)
      sc link with <<
   $(OBJS)
   <

The << tells SMAKE to start a temporary file; the < tells it to finish
the file and substitute the filename for the stuff between the << and
the <.

The MKMK smakefile generator automatically does this for you, by the
way, so if you have questions about the syntax, just run MKMK.

-- 
  *****                    / [email-masked]
 *|_o_o|\\     Doug Walker<  BIX, Portal: djwalker
 *|. o.| ||                \ CompuServe: 71165,2274
  | o  |//     
  ====== 
Any opinions expressed are mine, not those of SAS Institute, Inc.